Who We Are
The Communication Unit of Nalanda College has a proud history of 36 years. The Unit, is crowned as a pioneer in the school media, receiving unparalleled peer admiration, and has endowed the field with exceptional, unique talents. The Communication Unit of Nalanda College has come a long way in both technology and talent. We own the responsibility of covering the events at the school, including video archiving and giving the audio and technical support for all the major events at Nalanda College.
A major milestone was achieved in history with the telecasting of a TV channel Nalanda TV with a range of 5km for three days – the first TV broadcast by a school in Sri Lanka. In the following years, The Communication Unit of Nalanda College has telecasted 7 TV broadcasts; becoming the school to telecast the highest number of TV broadcasts in Sri Lanka.
- 2002 & 2004 – Live telecasted Ananda Vs Nalanda Cricket Encounter “Battle of the Maroons”.
- 2005 – Nalanda TV (Sri Lanka’s first ever school TV telecast)
- 2008 – Nalanda TV (Sri Lanka’s first school TV telecast using the “Chroma Technology”).
- 2012 – Nalanda TV (Sri Lanka’s first school TV telecast using the “IPTV Technology”).
- 2013 – Nalanda TV
- 2019 – NTV
- 2021 – NTV
The Communication Unit of Nalanda College has broadcasted a radio station 13 times with more than a range of 20km under the names mentioned below.
- 1996 – Ecstasy of Nalanda
- 1997 – Nalandasara
- 1998 – Nalandasara
- 1999 – Nalandasara
- 1999 – Broadcasting a radio channel parallel to the 75th anniversary of Nalanda College
- 2001 – Ecstasy of Nalanda
- 2005 – Nalandasara
- 2006 – Nalandasara
- 2007 – Nalandasara (Sri Lanka’s first school Web Radio)
- 2008 – Nalandasara
- 2010 – Nalandasara
- 2011 – Nalandasara
- 2012 – Nalandasara
The Communication Unit of Nalanda College has also been able to organize the Sri Lanka’s first ever Media Technical Workshop; with the presence and the guidance of well renowned media personalities.